Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cookies!

You may be wondering what this picture has to do with making cookies but in our house it is a very important step in making cookies.
I have great memories of baking with my mom and little brother. I even remember a time when Rob and I tried to make them ourselves. My Mom wasn't very happy. My friends have even told me that they remember making cookies at our house so it is no surprise that it is one of my favorite things to do with my girls. When we were remodeling the kitchen Carly would ask me everyday if we could make cookies. When we moved the stove back in place Carly came down the stairs and said, "Mommy, the stove is back! we can make cookies.!" And we did.
So what does the above picture have to do with making cookies? Well we here is the cookie recipe we follow at our house.
2 sticks of Margarine (one for Carly, one for Brianna)
3/4 c brown sugar (Carly puts one in, Brianna puts one in, Carly puts one in.)
3/4 c sugar(Brianna, Carly, Brianna)
1tsp vanilla (added 1/2 tsp at a time)
2 eggs (Brianna cracks one I pick out the shells, then Carly holds my hand while I crack the other one.)
Cream these together. This is the most important step. While I am creaming these together the girls stand in the middle of the kitchen and spin. I'm not sure why but it definitely makes the cookies taste better.
Lick the beaters
2 1/2 c flour (added a 1/2 c at a time.)
2 pinches of salt
1 tsp of baking soda (1/2 tsp at a time)
Carly then mixes the dry ingredients with her little wooden spoon.
Brianna mixes
Chocolate chips
Mommy mixes
Eat dough
Bake what ever is left for 8-10 min at 350

One day Carly and I made cookies while Brianna was at school, and she just couldn't understand why we needed 2 sticks of margarine if Bri wasn't there.


I hope my Girls will have good memories of Cookies too.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Hey Allison!! So SO good to hear from you! Your family is beautiful, and you look truly happy. I love reconnecting! Okay so I am so impressed that your daughter is taking horse riding lessons! Where does she go? How pld is she? My little girl Jordan loves horses, and ONE DAY we'll consider riding lessons. (She's still a little young.)
Keep in touch! I'm adding you to my blog.

Andrea said...

Don't you hate it when you misspell a word and can't change it?! I meant, how "old" is she. Ha ha!

Jillo said...

Your patients is much greater than mine. You are a good mom to split everything 50/50. What a fun thing to do with your girls.

Alison said...

Andrea, Brianna is 6. Hores lessons, as Brianna calls them are all thanks to Grandma. But, I asked Bri Sunday if she would rather do Dance or Horse lessons and she said Horse lessons so we are going to have to figure something out for this winter.

stacey said...

I love this! I also LOVE to make cookies and make them most sundays with my kids. I am sure your girls will do the same thing with their own kids. fun memories :)