Monday, January 10, 2011

January Blues

We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to look through the rooms of our lives.....not looking for flaws, but for potential.~Ellen Goodman

A friend of mine recently posted this on her Facebook status. And I have been giving it a lot of thought. I really hate January. No matter how prepared I am for the post-Christmas let down, January still leaves me feeling down in the dumps. For a month we are bombarded with exercise and diet commercials, and organization tips. Try as I might, I will never be skinny and my house will always be messy. I don't always make resolutions, but one year I did make the resolution to 'Listen more.' It was one I actually kept and I learned a lot that year. I've been trying to decide if I should try one this year and after reading my friend's post, I think I will.

So I have decided to try to be more social. I'm sure anyone who knows me just laughed at reading this, thinking that I already am a social person, and that is true, sort of. I do love a good chat and am happy to have my sister and my good friend Jill to indulge me in these chats, but when it comes to going out or having people over, we are kind of hermits. I love nothing more than to spend my weekends curled up on the couch in jammies with my honey, so we really don't go out much and we rarely go out with other couples. Twice last year we were invited to dinner at friends houses, and went but never returned the favor. And just recently a friend invited us to a get together with some people I'd love to meet, but when she told us it was a bit of a drive I immediately thought I don't want to drive that far. So my resolution is to get out more. I have the potential to make new friends and hopefully become closer to friends I already have.

1 comment:

Daley Family said...

Thats a great resolution! Good Luck with it :)